Do you eat breakfast every day?
Breakfast is a MUST in our house. None of us make it very far in the day without getting something into our bellies. That being said, breakfast can also be a challenge between work and home-school. I always look for ways to streamline our morning routine. One way to do that is to pre-make breakfast sandwiches on the weekend to enjoy all week. When we make a bulk batch of these delicious Sargento® Mild Cheddar Cheese & Egg sandwiches, we are more likely to eat a hearty meal at home rather than opting for a bowl of cereal or grabbing breakfast from a fast food joint. This helps us make healthier choices AND stay on budget!
why sargento® Cheese?
When I make these sandwiches, our go to is always to use Sargento® cheeses. Sargento® cheeses are real, natural, and straight up delicious. Sargento® Mild Cheddar Cheese slices are made without artificial flavors and are free of added growth hormones and antibiotics*. I never have to worry because I know I’m getting 100% real cheese that is not processed cheese.
Make mornings easier by preparing these egg & cheese sandwiches in advance
One of my all time favorite mom hacks is to prepare food in advance. I’m a huge fan of putting together freezer meals, using my slow cooker for dinners, and batch making food to have at a later time. Making a lasagna? I always make 2-3 at a time. Making a meal in the slow cooker? Prep a second of the same thing in a freezer bag. It truly saves SO much time and is like a gift to yourself.
These mild cheddar cheese & egg sandwiches are no exception. There are several ways to prepare these to save time in advance. The recipe is down below, but here are some ideas to save time in the mornings!
1. As described in the recipe below, prepare the sandwiches completely in advance. Freeze them individually and then reheat in the morning. This is great if you want to prepare more than a few days at a time, because it ensures the sandwiches won’t go bad in your fridge before you get a chance to enjoy them.
2. If you prefer your bread soft rather than toasted, then bake a batch of eggs in muffin tins (directions in the recipe). Store them in an airtight container in the fridge for 3-4 days. When you’re ready to make your sandwiches, reheat the egg with a slice of Sargento® Cheese on top. Then sandwich between two slices of bread. If you like mayonnaise, that’s a great addition to these!
3. If you’d like some additional protein, you can add a sausage patty. We like to fry up a batch of them at the same time the eggs are baking and make some sandwiches with sausage and some without.
4. If you want veggies, you can dice up peppers, mushrooms, spinach, etc and bake them stirred in with the eggs. If you like different kinds of cheese, Sargento® has several sliced varieties available, so you can pick your favorite. One of my favorite things about this recipe is that it’s so easy to customize based on your family preferences and allergy needs.
Sargento® Mild Cheddar Cheese & Egg Breakfast Sandwich
- 6 slices Sargento® Mild Cheddar Cheese
- 6 eggs
- 12 slices Whole Grain Bread
- 1 stick Butter
- In a bowl, crack and scramble one egg. Pour into one compartment of greased muffin tin or muffin top tin. Repeat for as many sandwiches as you'd like to make (ie if you only want to make 3 sandwiches, you'll only need 3 eggs).
- Bake eggs at 350F for 10-13 minutes. The eggs will puff up quite a bit while baking, but they'll deflate as they cool.
- While the eggs are baking, butter one side of each slice of bread. After the eggs have cooled, assemble sandwiches.
- If you're planning to eat these fresh, grill them in a skillet on medium heat, just as you would if you were making a grilled cheese sandwich. Once the bread is browned on each side, it's ready to go! We love to add a little mayonnaise to ours to add just a little extra something to it.
- If you want to premake them: grill them until the sandwich is just lightly toasted on each side and then remove from the heat. Allow the sandwiches to cool completely. Then wrap them individually in freezer paper, place in a large freezer bag together, and place in the freezer.
- To prepare from freezer: place the sandwich in the refrigerator the night before. In the morning, remove it from the freezer paper, place it in the toaster oven on "toast" until it's heated through. Enjoy!
a recipe for the whole family
I hope you found this helpful! Breakfast is a great way to start your day. Especially when you can make it ahead of time! Sargento® Cheese is real, natural, and the perfect addition to these sandwiches for a great taste that everyone in the family will love. If you try these, I’d love to hear what you think!